Wednesday 23 February 2011

Desert Boots

Some might claim that desert boots, specifically Clarks desert Boots, boots are a timeless look. So far as I understand they were worn by British officers during World War II, presumably in the desert. Their classic incarnation is either a suede or leather upper matched with a crepe sole. I'm not quite sure if they hold some inherent quality fashionability but I certainly like, as of present, the way they look, though I caution that I may be deluded by marketing. Nonetheless, I would like to attempt to describe what attracts me to them. Below are both the suede and beeswax models, both Clarks, neither of which are mine but my Sam's and our housemate's. I have had a pair of beeswax, which are rather worn in and have had many layers of dubin oil applied so they are much darker than the nearly new models displayed below. When we shot these two mine were rather covered in salt, thus I have yet to shoot them. 
What I find so appealing is the unstructured quality they have. The aesthetics is almost best describable as barren. This simplicity gives way to a shoes which forms to your foot and embraces the character it collects along the way. My own desert boots after six months of moderate use have come to possess a lot of depth and character in the leather. Will post pics later. The shoes see to take on a part of your own character. Though I quite like my beeswax leather the suede quite adds, i find to the unstructured look though are obviously less adaptable to anything but the driest of weather conditions.




No comments:

Post a Comment